Car catches fire after candle burning inside falls over and ignites papers

Car on Fire Due to Candle Lit

CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. (WWSB) - Fire crews with Charlotte County put out a car fire Monday at a Culver’s restaurant in Murdock. According to Fire and EMS, when crews arrived the car was in flames.

The driver told the firefighters a fragrant candle he was burning inside the car tipped over onto some papers and ignited the blaze. The driver stopped the car outside of the restaurant and ran for a trash can to fill with water to pour on the fire, but by the time he got back to the car it was engulfed.

The car was a complete loss and no injuries reported, but firefighters want to remind motorists not to drive with a burning candle in your car.

Copyright 2020 WWSB. All rights reserved.