Troopers identify drivers of seven vehicles involved in triple fatal crash on I-75 North
SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - A triple fatal crash Monday morning left two lanes blocked on I-75 North just before Exit 210 (Fruitville Road) for hours.
The crash happened around 7:30am and involved seven vehicles. At this point, troopers have not said what events led to the crash and the events that led to all seven vehicles being involved, but they have identified the vehicles and drivers involved:
- Vehicle 1 - 2013 Ford Mustang driven by 55-year-old Angela Blase of Venice. She is in serious condition at Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
- Vehicle 2 - 2006 Mack Cement Mixer driven by 50-year-old Joseph S. Lydic of Sarasota. Lydic was killed in the crash.
- Vehicle 3 - 2005 Toyota Corolla driven by a 57-year-old Sarasota woman. She suffered minor injuries.
- Vehicle 4 - Dodge Durango driven by 24-year-old Joseph Pontillo of Sarasota. Pontilla was killed in the crash.
- Vehicle 5 - 2001 Chevy Pickup driven by 53-year-old Mario Mendoza of Cape Coral. Mendoza is in critical condition at Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
- Vehicle 6 - 2018 Dodge 2500 driven by 56-year-old Jose Leal. Leal was killed in the crash.
- Vehicle 7 - 2019 Chevy 4500 driven by a 21-year-old Charlotte man, who suffered no injuries.
The crash remains under investigation and Florida Highway Patrol is asking any witnesses to call 239-938-1800. Troopers say they’re still piecing together exactly what happened as their understanding of the accident evolves.
At 3:45pm, more than eight hours after the initial crash, the northbound lanes were re-opened. However, crews remained on scene investigating for hours more, removing heavily damaged vehicles and debris.
This is the second accident in this area in less than a week. Last Thursday, a blown tire on concrete mixer truck led to a four-vehicle accident that closed I-75 South for hours. That accident left two people with serious injuries.
Copyright 2020 WWSB. All rights reserved.