Man shocked, found not breathing and with no pulse after ladder hits power line on Longboat Key

Man shocked, found with no pulse after ladder hits power line at Longboat Key home

LONGBOAT KEY, Fla. (WWSB) - Some very scary moments for a worker Friday on Longboat Key. Fire officials say a ladder struck a power line and electrocuted the 42-year-old man.

It happened around 10:30 Friday morning when the man working on a gutter of a home at Sutton Place on Longboat Key pulled his ladder away from the home.

“He was moving the ladder from one area to another and accidentally hit the power line,” says Brandon Desch, Acting Deputy Chief for Longboat Key Fire and Rescue.

The man had no pulse following the electric shock and his co-workers attempted CPR. When emergency crews arrived on scene they were able to bring back his pulse with a defibrillator.

“A four-minute response to get here, the crews arrived on scene found the victim rolled into a ditch, unresponsive," said Chief Paul Dezzi with Longboat Key Fire and Rescue. "They quickly went ahead and began advanced life support procedures on him.”

He was taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital and then flown to Tampa General where he remains in stable condition. Fire crews are urging people to be careful around power lines, especially when using an aluminum ladder.

People who live here are surprised something like this happened in their neighborhood.

“We just wished his co-workers to convey a message from all of us for a speedy recovery and we’re sorry that happened,” said Howard Cohen, a Sutton Place resident.

The Town of Longboat Key says some areas of the island may have experienced a power outage because of this incident.

Copyright 2019 WWSB. All rights reserved.