Sourdough Sausage Stuffing | Chef Judi
- 1/2 stick unsalted Irish butter cubes
- Butter for greasing pan
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausages casings removed
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound baby kale
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 4 large eggs
- 4 peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 loaf sour dough bread( approx 1 1/3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Fresh minced thyme
- Garlic salt 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper Optional 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Butter a 9x13 inch baking / casserole dish Toss the sausage, red onions and seasonings and ebooks Roast about 20 minutes until brown and soften.
3. Toss in butternut squash and diced apples.
4. Scatter kale on top of sausage onion mixture and roast about 6 minutes Transfer 1/4 of the mixture on to a plate and reserve Cool.
5. In a large bowl beat the eggs with the chicken stock Add the cubes sourdough bread, 1/2 stick butter, fresh parsley, thyme, crushed red pepper and poultry seasoning adjust with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
6. Fold into the larger batch of sausage Scatter the cooled 1/4 part that was set aside Cover with foil.