(NAPSI)—There’s good news for homeowners who want the grass to grow greener on their side of the fence.
Throughout May, lawn, garden and equipment experts will provide free, one-on-one advice on everything from how to control pests and finally win the battle against weeds to troubleshooting a lawn mower that won’t start.
“We’ll help everyone who calls and take as long as necessary to get homeowners the answers they need,” says Trey Rogers, an internationally known expert on lawn and yard care and leader of the hotline, which is sponsored by Briggs & Stratton Corporation.
For example, if your grass is brown or dying where it should be green, he advises, there may be a simple solution.
1. Can you blame it on the dog? The nitrogen in dog urine can burn your lawn and cause a widespread brown patch problem. You can create a special gravel or mulch area and train Fido to go there.
2. Is your mower blade dull? Dull blades tear rather than cleanly cut the grass, which can weaken and damage the lawn. Have the blade sharpened once a year.
3. Did you spill fertilizer or overfeed your lawn? Too much fertilizer is a well-known grass-burning culprit. Always follow package instructions when applying fertilizer. If your spreader drops too much in one place, water that spot on the lawn generously.
4. What about too much water? If you overwater or if water pools in certain areas on your lawn, you can drown the grass roots, causing areas to die out. Survey your lawn for dips you want to avoid dousing.
5. How do I grow grass in the shade? In deep shade, put down mulch instead. In partial shade, seed the area in the spring and fall, when leaves don’t block the sunlight.
From May 1 to 31, anyone can get a free online or phone consultation with a lawn, garden or equipment expert on any problem by visiting www.YardSmarts.com or calling 1-866-YARD-TIPS (1-866-927-3847). Photo submissions are welcome if the problem is difficult to describe.
In addition, every Friday during the month of May, experts will be available for livechats to share information more broadly with homeowners. The top lawn and garden questions will be posted on the website, www.yardsmarts.com, where you can also find expert advice and information related to yard care and equipment.
The Yard Smarts Hotline is sponsored by Briggs & Stratton, the largest maker of engines for outdoor power equipment.
If getting your yard in the best shape ever isn’t enough motivation to check out the hotline, the company will give away a $300 gift certificate each week to one homeowner to purchase a new lawn mower or other needed yard care equipment.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate (NAPSI)