(ARA) - With so many choices in travel destinations, sometimes it's best to plan a vacation around your passion.
Over the years, the hotels.com Hotel Price Index (HPI) has provided travelers information on the best hotel rates by destination, indexing Americans' and foreigners' favorite destinations, and where to get the most "bang for your buck."
If you're a foodie, sports buff, daredevil or anything in between, these U.S. destinations can help satisfy your wanderlust.
One of the best parts about traveling is indulging your taste buds with food you can't get (or normally don't let yourself have) at home. Events and ongoing attractions at these destinations are sure to attract any food fanatic.
Austin, Texas - Average daily rate (ADR) of $128 according to the HPI
* Need we say more than Foodspotting at the SXSW film, music and interactive conference? This delicious tour de food trucks happens every March.
* Home to the annual Austin Food & Wine Festival presented by the connoisseurs at Food & Wine Magazine.
Healdsburg, Calif. - $133 ADR
* Full of charming B&Bs, bakeries and country stores offering fresh produce.
* Twelve wine tasting rooms within a mile of the city center.
Portland, Ore. - $109 ADR
* A magnet for young, rising chefs on the traditional restaurant and street vendor scenes.
* Foodies flock to the world-class Portland Farmer's Market to learn tricks of the trade.
2012 is a big year for sport aficionados. In addition to a slew of international and national sporting events, the 2012 Summer Olympics start in late July.
New Orleans - $150 ADR
* Already having played host to the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament championship game, the Big Easy is slated to host the Arena Football League championship before the perhaps the biggest sporting event in the U.S. - the NFL championship game in 2013.
Boston - $176 ADR
* Explore sports history by touring Fenway Ballpark, the oldest Major League Baseball stadium in use.
* More of a collegiate sports fan? The area is home to four NCAA Division I schools. Check them out in the annual hockey "Beanpot Tournament."
Unbelieveably, there is still untouched landscape perfect for an adventure vacation.
Boulder, CO - $123 ADR
* Surrounded by 36,000-plus acres of open space and at the base of Rocky Mountain foothills.
* Home to many renowned adventure athletes and Olympians, Chautauqua State Park (great hiking), Eldorado Canyon (world-class rock climbing) and numerous champion ski resorts.
Burlington, VT - $185 ADR
* Perched on the shores of Lake Champlain and surrounded by the Green Mountains, there's adventurous options for every season with hiking, mountain biking, rocking climbing and water sports in summer and skiing, snowboarding and ice climbing in winter.
Lihue, HI - $160 ADR
* Hotel room prices are lower than Honolulu and Maui.
* Adventure-seekers enjoy white sand beaches, soaring mountains and the 3,000-foot deep Waimea Canyon also known as "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific."
To be sure you stay at the best hotel close to your planned activities, use landmark proximity search and read guest reviews based on trip type.
For a full list of reasons to visit these destinations, recommendations for fashionistas, health nuts and art afficinados, and Hotels.com's international destination recommendations, please visit www.hotel-price-index.com.