(NAPSI)—A big step toward eating better lunches can be to fill half your plate with fruits and veggies. Here are hints on how:
• Add fruit and nuts to salad; top with a low-fat dressing.
• Add chopped tomatoes, pineapple or avocado to tuna and chicken salad.
• Create fruit skewers with sliced pineapple, cantaloupe or bananas dipped in lemon juice and toothpicks. Pack low-fat yogurt for dipping.
• Spread peanut butter over a whole grain tortilla; top with crushed whole grain cereal and a whole banana. Roll up and enjoy.
• Serve a delicious pineapple salsa with leftover grilled chicken, pork or as a healthy dip with fresh veggies and low-fat chips. Combine chopped fresh pineapple, red and green bell peppers, sweet onion slivers, lemon juice, fresh cilantro and one seeded, finely chopped jalapeño. Each serving provides a boost of vitamins C and A.
• Stir in canned beans and fresh chopped tomatoes to low-sodium canned soup for a heartier lunch.
• Tomato and part-skim mozzarella chunks drizzled with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar is always a hit.
• Stuff whole grain pita with veggies and beans or fruits and nuts. Top with low-fat yogurt.
• Mix chopped tomatoes and herbs with cottage cheese for a dose of calcium, vitamin C and fiber or add chopped pineapple and banana to cottage cheese for a naturally sweet after-lunch treat.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate(NAPSI)