Delight your guests and family with this delicious dessert featuring dried California figs.
- 15 Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Mission or Calimyrna figs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup brandy (or 1/2 cup water mixed with
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 15 to 30 small pieces candied ginger, toasted nuts or chocolate
- 5 to 6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- With sharp paring knife, cut small slit in bottom of each fig. Insert knife tip into fig (1/2 to 3/4 inch) and carefully move back and forth to enlarge space for filling.
- In small saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in brandy and figs. Bring to boil over high heat then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Drain figs, cool and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Stuff one or two pieces of ginger, nuts and/or chocolate into each fig. Press ends of figs together to enclose filling.
- Place chopped chocolate in 1 cup glass measuring cup or small microwave-safe bowl. Heat on medium/50% power until almost melted, stirring after every 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir until melted. Hold stem of each fig and dip in melted chocolate. Place figs, stems up, on wax paper-lined tray until chocolate sets. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Makes 15 figs