CHARLOTTE COUNTY,Fla. -- It may only be the middle of July, but two of Charlotte County’s elementary schools are back in session as of Wednesday. And it is only a few weeks until the rest of the schools start back.
So authorities are asking everyone to use caution when driving, particularly around the school zones and school buses.
Students at Charlotte County’s two year-round schools – Sallie Jones Elementary and East Elementary – returned to classes today. That means that those school crossing zone signs that have been dark for a while are operating again around those two schools. Sallie Jones Elementary is located within the city limits of Punta Gorda, while East Elementary is located in the unincorporated area of Punta Gorda.
With two schools in session and the rest of the schools in Charlotte County scheduled to resume in mid-August, it is a good time to go over some safety tips:
- Observe the 15 mph speed limit within school zones.
- Watch out for children in crosswalks
- Stop for school buses as student are loading or unloading
- Obey the instructions of the crossing guards
- Make sure children have their seat belt or other restraint correctly fastened when traveling
- Parents should review with their children safety rules for the bus stop or when walking to school.
- Allow a little extra time if your travels take you through a school zone