Space heater causes house fire in Sarasota

  • 0

SARASOTA, Fla. - One person was taken to the hospital during a 2-alarm house fire in the Central Cocoanut neighborhood Thursday night.

The fire started around 10:30pm on Central Avenue between 14th Street and 15th Street.

According to the Sarasota County Fire Department, three houses had to be evacuated. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in a matter of minutes, but 80% of the wood frame structure was destroyed. 

Family members told firefighters that the fire started from a space heater that was too close to a couch.

We are told the owner of the home, Oscar Johnson, had lived there for more than 50 years. He did receive a few burns on his hands trying to put out the fire.

He is expected to be fine and stay with family who live just a street away.