Woman Swallows Inedible Cake Decoration, Lands in ER

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:23 pm | Updated: 3:24 pm, Thu Dec 26, 2013.

A 72-year-old woman learned the hard way that not all cake decorations are edible.

The woman, who has not been named, went to the emergency room after enduring three days of abdominal pain, according to a case study published in the New England Journal of Medicine. What doctors found – and eventually removed – was an ax-shaped cake decoration from the Christmas cake she’d eaten the week before.

The green plastic decoration was 2 centimeters long and perforated her small intestine.

Doctors repaired the damage, and the woman went home 10 days after surgery.

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Right Now

weather

Today

weather
70°
Details

Tomorrow

weather
77°
Details

Today

weather
78°
Details

Today

weather
77°
Details

SUBMIT PHOTOS & VIDEOS | VIEW ALL PHOTOS & VIDEOS

Send your photos & videos to Pix@MySuncoast.com and you could be featured on ABC 7 & our website.