Jul. 11, 2014 2:02 am
Question
Welcome!
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

State Dep't, GOP spar over Benghazi accountability

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:59 pm | Updated: 12:19 pm, Wed Sep 25, 2013.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration says it held four employees responsible for mistakes in the run-up to last year's Benghazi attack even though they are still working for the State Department.

Patrick Kennedy, the department's undersecretary for management, told the House Foreign Affairs Committee that relieving the four of their responsibilities and assigning them lower-profile jobs amounts to "serious accountability."

House Republicans rejected that assessment. Rep. Ed Royce, the committee chairman, said no one "missed a paycheck." Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen said the department only shuffled "the deck chairs."

GOP members also raised several older complaints about the administration's handling of the Sept. 11, 2012, attack. They centered on the administration's initial explanations and why the military didn't intervene.

Several noted that a year after Benghazi, no militants have been brought to justice.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.