Judge deciding if Fort Hood suspect needs lawyer

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:07 am | Updated: 7:06 pm, Thu Aug 8, 2013.

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — A military judge is deciding whether the soldier accused in the 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage is trying to guarantee himself a death sentence.

Defense attorneys who are helping Maj. Nidal Hasan during his murder trial accused him Wednesday of trying to convince jurors to convict him.

Hasan says the attorneys are twisting the facts.

But he has done little to defend himself so far. He told jurors evidence would show he was responsible for the attack that killed 13 people on the Texas military base. He's questioned only two of the dozen witnesses so far.

The judge is now deciding whether to allow Hasan to proceed or to let his standby attorneys take over. However, either decision could likely be the basis of an appeal.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Right Now

weather

Today

weather
78°
Details

Tomorrow

weather
77°
Details

Today

weather
77°
Details

Today

weather
76°
Details

SUBMIT PHOTOS & VIDEOS | VIEW ALL PHOTOS & VIDEOS

Send your photos & videos to Pix@MySuncoast.com and you could be featured on ABC 7 & our website.