Vacant North Port home causing apparent health problems

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related Stories

Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:06 pm

NORTH PORT, Fla. -- Melanee Packard lives around twenty yards from the house that caught fire more than two years ago on Duar Terrace in North Port. Ever since the tragedy she says she and some of her neighbors have constant respiratory problems from the apparent mold emanating from the vacant home. She claims the moldy air gives her life-threatening asthma attacks.

"I got a pool in the backyard I can't swim in. I can't walk my dogs. I can't spend time outside planting flowers or sometimes even just cooking dinner is a problem."

Roxanne Sturgis also lives close to the home. She has never had any breathing problems prior to the tragic event--but started to experience issues within a year.

“My respiratory started getting worse. I had to go see doctors I've never seen before."

And it even got increasingly worst in the past two months.

"It just got really, really bad. It’s just at the point where I'm using my inhaler every day or every other day.”

Melanee and other residents have contacted code enforcement of North Port numerous times."Their hands are pretty much tied. They're in contact with the bank. The bank has the property as abandoned, apparently it’s in foreclosure."

Another concern for residents is the constant loitering going on in the area. Anyone can easily go in and out as they please.

"People are breaking into boards, breaking into the home. We've seen drug addicts go in there. I've seen little kids under 10 years walk around there."

The house is just a constant reminder of their friends who died in the fire."I still see them in my head over there. It's like a sad reminder of what could have been is not going to be there anymore.

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

4 comments:

  • justmelanee posted at 7:11 am on Thu, Aug 28, 2014.

    justmelanee Posts: 3

    Thanks, Duhane, for helping us get something DONE about this health-hazard. We find it amazing that, on Tuesday, another garage fire damaged a home here in North Port, with MUCH less damage, yet IT was deemed 'uninhabitable.' Your report will, at the very LEAST, get the home here on Duar re-boarded up to keep out the kids and other transients that have been hanging around inside this dangerous, rotting home. Great work! We are grateful to you.

     
  • justmelanee posted at 7:09 am on Thu, Aug 28, 2014.

    justmelanee Posts: 3

    Hey, dgardner2000, why don't YOU come and live next to this house so, when you're i the ICU struggling to breathe, I can tell YOU to take a Valium. Moron.

     
  • dgardner2000 posted at 5:19 pm on Mon, Aug 25, 2014.

    dgardner2000 Posts: 15

    Sounds like Melanee and Roxanne need to take a valium and get a life.

     
  • slgulezian posted at 9:37 pm on Sun, Aug 24, 2014.

    slgulezian Posts: 1

    I hope you all realize that some mold can be poisonous, and life threatening.
    you need to have hazmat come and check it out. You are all at risk. good luck

     

Right Now

weather

Today

weather
76°
Details

Tomorrow

weather
76°
Details

Today

weather
79°
Details

Today

weather
77°
Details

SUBMIT PHOTOS & VIDEOS | VIEW ALL PHOTOS & VIDEOS

Send your photos & videos to Pix@MySuncoast.com and you could be featured on ABC 7 & our website.