top story

Update: Former Charlotte County deputy shot faces domestic battery charges

  • 0

CHARLOTTE Co., Fla (WWSB) – Deputies shot an Englewood man wielding a knife in his yard on Friday, the second such shooting in the past few weeks.

Sheriff’s deputies were called to the domestic incident at about 8:30 p.m. at the 6400 block of Hamlet Dr.  A woman said she had been assaulted by her husband, who was suicidal, had consumed prescription pills and possessed a weapon, according to Sheriff Bill Prummell.

The suspect, Casey Roberts, met the deputies in his front yard. He had a knife in his hand and was in danger of hurting himself, the Sheriff said.  Deputy Brooke Dooley fired her Taser at Roberts because he was going to hurt himself.

Roberts was a deputy with the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office from 2004 to 2008. He left the department due to a medical injury. 

Dooley missed Roberts with the taser and he became more aggravated, Prummell said. As Roberts continued to approach the deputies with his knife, Deputy Eric Knapp shot him. The bullet hit Casey in his upper leg, shattering his bone. He was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

His wife and their 4-year-old daughter were in the home at the time. Both were injured by Roberts in the battery but treated at the scene, according to reports. 

Prummell said in a press conference on Monday deputies are trained to shoot when someone is rushing toward them with a weapon within 20 feet. The department had several domestic dispute calls on record to Roberts' home.

Roberts had cocaine in his possession at the time of the incident, Prummell said, and has three DUIs on his record. 

Both deputies involved in the incident have been put on leave.

On Feb. 26, another Charlotte County deputy-involved shooting left a knife wielding man dead in his Englewood yard. Deputies Scott Sarver, Tony Soltis and Adam Freitas responded to a domestic disturbance call at a home on Marcum Street. When they got there, Jacob Taulbee, 42, came out of the woods holding two large knives.

Deputies ordered Taulbee to stop, but he continued to rush towards them. That’s when Deputy Server fired eight shots, striking Taulbee and killing him. All three deputies remain on paid leave while the State Attorney’s Office investigates.  Final results from Taulbee’s autopsy have not been released.

The incident remains under investigation.