SARASOTA - The Sarasota Police Department inviting all boaters and boating enthusiasts to join them for a boating safety event.
It will be held Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Centennial Park, 1059 N. Tamiami Trail in Sarasota.
Each year hundreds of lives are lost, thousands are injured, and millions of dollars of property damage occurs because of preventable recreational boating accidents on U.S. waterways. Too often pleasure outings turn tragic. That is why the Sarasota Police Department is conducting this safety event to help boat operators, passengers, or concerned individuals make a difference.
The Sarasota Police Department, Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office, Longboat Key Police Department, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Sarasota County Fire Department, United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 84, and Safe Kids/All Children’s Hospital will all be participating.
There will be:
• Safety giveaways
• Certified boat inspections at the ramp and on the water
• Vessel and equipment security information
• Drowning prevention information
• Fire Department demonstration- extinguishing a live fire
• USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 84 demonstration of flare safety
• A scale to ensure the children’s Personal Flotation Devices are age and weight appropriate
• Coloring books and stickers for young boaters
If you would like more information about this event, please contact Officer Cherie McKeon of the Sarasota Police Department’s Crime Prevention Unit at (941) 364-7345 or the Front Desk at (941) 954-7025.