Sarasota judge orders release of Boy Scout sex abuse files

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:18 pm | Updated: 5:21 pm, Tue Sep 17, 2013.

SARASOTA--Since June, the Boys Scouts of America has failed to comply with a Sarasota judge's order to release documents covering scouts who sexually abused other scouts.

"Recently we have been told that there are thousands of pages of these records of abuse between boys," said Sarasota attorney Damian Millard, who represents two victims of the abuse, which occurred back in 2007.

They filed a lawsuit against the Boy Scouts of America back in 2010.

"It is our position that if the Boy Scouts of America really does have the interest of kids at heart, then they should make kids safe when they have information that they know about something like boys abusing other boys sexually," said Millard.

But the Boy Scouts of America so far won't turn over those files, so the victim's parent's are breaking their silence.

"We feel that if they have got this knowledge of these files existing and they have these files that they would release these files based on a judges ruling, said the father of one of the victims.

"Our family has been through a lot, as a result of all this happening, and everything we went through I don't want anyone else to go through," said the father of another victim.

Millard says it's clear the Boy Scouts of America knew this kind of abuse was happening and that the organization should have made local troops all across the country aware.

"There should have been an offer to either give them training on how to handle such a situation or give the parents the opportunity to handle it themselves," said Millard.

It's a choice both victims' parents now wish they could have made.

"You feel a tremendous sense of guilt that you insisted this route for your son," said one of the fathers.

"To have your son have to tell you that this is what happened to him, its tough," said the other father, "it really is tough."

The Boy Scouts of America provided ABC7 News a statement via email, which read, in part: "The abuse of anyone, especially a child, is intolerable and our thoughts and prayers go out to those who may be a victim of this type of reprehensible behavior. While we can't comment on the lawsuit, we extend our deepest sympathies to those involved. The safety of our youth members is of paramount importance."

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Right Now

weather

Today

weather
84°
Details

Tomorrow

weather
83°
Details

Today

weather
82°
Details

Today

weather
82°
Details

SUBMIT PHOTOS & VIDEOS | VIEW ALL PHOTOS & VIDEOS

Send your photos & videos to Pix@MySuncoast.com and you could be featured on ABC 7 & our website.