NORTH PORT, Fla. - The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office has arrested a North Port woman after they say her two-year-old son severely burned his genitals with a hair dryer, and she failed to get the child treatment.
According to the sheriff's office, 24-year-old Devon Rowand called the victim’s father on January 25 and told him there had been a “little accident.” Rowand said she was blow-drying the boy’s hair after a bath and went to check on another child in the home. She said the boy burned himself but she didn’t want to take him to the emergency room because she would be reported to the Department of Children and Families.
When Rowand returned the boy to his father on January 29, the man saw the burns to the child’s left thigh and genitals and immediately took him to Sarasota Memorial Hospital in North Port for treatment. Doctors determined the boy had first and second degree burns.
Rowand is charged with Child Neglect for knowingly leaving her unclothed toddler unsupervised, next to a defective hot hair dryer that was still plugged in, and next to a bathtub containing water. She is currently being held without bond.