Man shot dead by Sarasota Police Officers

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 1:54 am | Updated: 11:50 am, Tue Jan 14, 2014.

SARASOTA, FLA. - An armed man was shot dead by two police officers in a Sarasota park Sunday night.

The shooting occurred at North Water Tower Park in the 1000 Block of 42st Street in Sarasota.

Sarasota Police spokesperson Genevieve Judge says the two police officers were patrolling the park on their bicycles around 10pm. They were walking in the North Trail area when they encountered an individual in the park. After talking to the man for a short period of time the individual pulled out a gun and pointed it at both officers.

Both officers asked the man to put the weapon down multiple times, but the man refused to stop pointing the weapon at them. Judge says the officers fired on the individual to protect themselves.

Both officers have been placed on administrative leave, which is routine when an officer involved shooting is under investigation.

EMS tried to revive the individual on scene but were unsuccessful and the man died on scene.

Police Chief Bernadaette DiPino was on scene Sunday night. Bureau of Criminal Investigations also responded to the scene and will remain on scene from Sunday night through Monday morning collecting evidence for their investigation into this shooting.

The name of the individual and the names of the officers are being withheld at this time.

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

  • oar9fi posted at 1:53 pm on Mon, Jan 6, 2014.

    oar9fi Posts: 1

    I heard the EMS transporting the guy to the SMH on the scanner. He had several gunshot wounds and went into cardiac arrest in the ambulance. The EMS workers were requesting permission to discontinue CPR, but couldn't get authorization to do so. I guess the guy didn't make it.



Send your photos & videos to and you could be featured on ABC 7 & our website.