Port Charlotte, FL- Sergeant Michael Wilson will be honored on Friday and Saturday with a funeral followed by a procession through the streets of Charlotte County.
Sgt. Wilson was killed in the line of duty last Monday night after responding to a domestic disturbance call at the Lake of Tuscana Apartments on Veteran's Blvd, in Port Charlotte. According to the Sheriff's Office, Wilson was gunned down in a stairwell at the apartments by 49-year old Jay Vanko. Reportedly Vanko then took his own life.
Governor Rick Scott and law enforcement from all over will attend the funeral on Saturday.
Sgt. Wilson's viewing will be Friday night, from 4:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the Charlotte Harbor Event Center. There will be no burial/graveside services on Saturday so the funeral will be held in the same location Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m. Following the funeral, there will be an honorary procession. The public is encouraged to show support by lining the procession route.
See the attached map showing the route, described as follows:
- From the Event Center the procession will turn north on US 41 over the bridge.
- Stay on US 41 north to Veterans Blvd.
- Turn right (east) on Veterans Blvd almost the entire length, going past Lakes of Tuscana Apartments.
- Turn right (west) on Peachland Blvd to Harbor Blvd.
- Turn left (south) on Harbor Blvd past the Mid-County Offices to US 41
- Turn left (south) on US 41 back to the Event Center
- CCSO encourage the people of Charlotte County who want to show their support for Sergeant Wilson and his family to station themselves somewhere along the procession route. Due to the elevated security at the Event Center and the congestion in downtown, members of the general public are asked to view the services from their homes.