SARASOTA CO., Fla. (WWSB) -- There will be several lane closures during the First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon and Relay Sunday morning.
The temporary closures include these locations:
- Westbound University Parkway at US 41
- Gulfstream Avenue/ John Ringling Blvd at US 41
- Westbound Jon Ringling Blvd from US 41 to St. Armand’s Circle
- Eastbound John Ringling Blvd from St. Armand’s Circle to Bayfront Drive
- Southbound US 41 and Gulfstream Avenue (Beach traffic will be directed into one lane for Westbound turns)
- Northbound US 41 and Gulfstream Avenue (One lane for beach traffic, second turn lane will be closed. Both Northbound US 41 lanes will remain open)
- Southbound John Ringling Parkway will be detoured around St. Armand’s Circle
- Southbound US 41 from University Park to Gulfstream Avenue
The race begins at 6:45 a.m. and it is scheduled to finish at approximately 11 a.m. The start and finish line are located at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall on Tamiami Trail. Race participants will be sharing the roadway with drivers.
Boaters planning to use the 10th Street Boat Ramp on Sunday may wish to use the Ken Thompson Parkway boat launch due to the race traffic.
Drivers can expected delays due to temporary lane closures and the increase of traffic volume during the late morning hours.
Sarasota Police Officers and volunteers will be posted along the route to assist motorists and residents in congested areas and to ensure the safety of the half marathon participants.