VENICE, Fla. - Twelve fire units responded to a house fire in the northeast section of Venice early Monday morning.
Damage from the fire was extensive.
Responders arrived at the home, located on Laurel Read just east of Knights Trail Road, at 3:18 a.m. and found the second floor of the house and its attic fully engulfed in flames.
All of the occupants of the home made it out to safety with no injuries. One of them says they think the fire started in the fireplace.
According to the Venice Fire Department, a family member notified firefighters of two puppies that were missing from the home. Both were rescued by firefighters and are under evaluation.
The state fire marshal is investigating.