VENICE, Fla - A late night fire at a senior living facility in Venice displacing dozens.
Just before 10pm Monday night the call came in from Village on the Isle, located on the island of Venice.
Firefighters from Venice and nearby agencies responded. They say the early indication is a fire started by a microwave in one of the units.
It triggered the automatic sprinkler system which put the fire out but caused extensive damage to an entire wing of the facility. Dumping at least three inches of water. Around 20 independent living units have damage.
"There is a lot of water damage. The sprinkler did its job. It dumps a lot of water. By the time you can get the system turned down and turned off it can cause a lot of damage," says Venice Batalion Chief Steve Armstrong.
CEO for Village on the Isle Tom Kelley say nobody was hurt. "The important thing is there are no injuries. No smoke inhalation. Damage can be repaired. When somebody gets hurt then you have a real issue."
Kelly says residents with special medical needs have been put up in another area of the facility. Others have been put up in in nearby hotels.
Clean-up begins after fire at Venice assisted living facility
VENICE, Fla. -- A fire Monday night at a senior living facility displaced residents. Now crews are working around the clock to pick up the mess and rebuild so residents can return.