Long-term Medicaid enrollment begins

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related Stories

Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:42 am | Updated: 4:37 pm, Wed Jul 3, 2013.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Phone counselors are now available to help long-term care Medicaid recipients choose their health plans.

State health officials say the call centers went live Monday. Long-term care Medicaid recipients can call the hotline and ask questions about what doctors and medications are covered in different plans.

The counselor can also enroll them in a plan. Recipients have until July 18 to decide. Residents in Brevard, Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties will be the first to enroll and will begin receiving services August 1. The state is enrolling groups by regions.

Florida obtained tentative permission from the federal government to move 3 million Medicaid patients into managed care programs where insurers are given a set amount of money to decide what doctors, tests and medications to cover.

Important Phone Numbers and Websites

If you are concerned about the care or treatment you (or a loved one) are receiving from a long-term care provider, you can contact one or more of the following:

Agency for Health Care Administration – To file a complaint against health care providers listed in this guide call the toll-free number (888) 419-3456. You can also file a complaint online at AHCA.MyFlorida.com/contact/what_happens.shtml. To file a complaint against a continuing care retirement community, concerning financial matters, call the Florida Department of Financial Services toll-free number (800) 342-2762.

Disability Rights Florida – To report that a staff member of a health care facility has not made reasonable accommodations to meet your specific needs or has discriminated against you because of a disability, call the toll-free number (800) 342-0823 or visit DisabilityRightsFlorida.org.

Florida Abuse Hotline – To report abuse, neglect, or exploitation of children, elderly, or adults with a disability call the toll-free Abuse Hotline at (800) 962-2873 or visit MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs/abuse-hotline.

Long-Term Care Ombudsman Council – Helps residents who live in assisted living facilities, adult family care homes, and nursing homes with their concerns and civil rights. Call them toll-free at (888) 831-0404 or visit Ombudsman.MyFlorida.com.

Online: www.flmedicaidmanagedcare.com.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Right Now









Cool Today


Send your photos & videos to Pix@MySuncoast.com and you could be featured on ABC 7 & our website.