SARASOTA, FL (WWSB) - After a natural disaster, there are many ways to help victims by making monetary donations, or by giving supplies. Hurricane Irma ravaged southern Florida on Sunday, September 10, leaving thousands of homes and businesses destroyed and many victims in need.
Below is a list of ways you can help those victims. We will continue to update this story when we receive new information.
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital: SMH has partnered with Suncoast Blood Bank and Michaels on East to hold a blood drive on Thursday, September 14. The drive will be held from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Michaels on East ballroom.
- Sarasota Police Department: Sarasota PD is partnering with Suntex Marinas/Marina Jack, Voigt Brothers Construction, Terry's Plumbing, and Larry and Linda Twill to collection supplies to assist law enforcement officers working in the Keys. Donations are being accepted at the Sarasota Police Department Headquarters, located at 2099 Adams Ln., from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. until three trailers of supplies are filled. The following supplies are being accepted:
- 12 penny framing nails (hand drive)
- 1/2" plywood
- 8 ft. 2x4s
- Baby supplies (diapers, wipes, food, formula, etc.)
- Camping gear
- Dog/cat food
- Drill bits
- First-aid kits
- Nail aprons
- Non-perishable food
- Paper plates
- Tape measures
- Tapcon screws (1/4" x 3", 1/4" x 1 1/4")
- Toilet paper/toiletries
- Work gloves
- Suncoast Blood Bank: Blood donations are urgently needed, especially type O-neg. Donations will be taken from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1760 Mound St. in Sarasota. Other donations locations currently open include:
- Bradenton - 1626 14th St. W (near Target), 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Lakewood Ranch - 1731 Lakewood Ranch Blvd. (corner of LWR Blvd. and SR 64), 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Venice - Bird Bay Plaza, 539 US Hwy. 41 Bypass, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Food Bank of Manatee: The food bank is collecting non-perishable food items at the following locations:
- All Manatee County Goodwill locations
- LWBRA - 8430 Enterprise Cir. #140, Lakewood Ranch
- Manatee Chamber of Commerce - 222 10th St. W, Bradenton and 4215 Concept Ct., Lakewood Ranch
- Manatee Community Foundation - 2820 Manatee Ave. W, Bradenton
- Meals on Wheels PLUS - 811 23rd Ave. E, Bradenton
- Morgan Stanley - 1401 Manatee Ave. W Ste. 1110, Bradenton
- Orange Theory Fitness - 5275 University Pkwy. #116, Brandenton
- Outback Steakhouse - 4402 W Cortex Rd., Bradenton
- Synovus Banks - 2520 Manatee Ave. W, Bradenton and 6705 Sr. 70 E, Bradenton
- American Red Cross: The Red Cross is collecting money to help those affected by Irma. Click here to donate online.
- Salvation Army: The Salvation Army is on the ground, helping out victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Food trucks are mobilized and shelters are in action. The organization says the best way for you to help is by making a financial donation here.
- Sarasota Police Department: Donations are being accepted through the Sarasota Police Foundation. To contribute, click here. The foundation accepts cash, credit cards, and checks. All funds will be used to purchase supplies for law enforcement officers working in the Florida Keys.
- The Food Bank of Manatee: Support the efforts of the food bank by making a monetary donation here.
- The Food Bank of Manatee: The food bank is in need of volunteers. Email email@example.com to sign up.
Also, if you are in need of food following Hurricane Irma, click here for a list of open food banks.
Copyright 2017 WWSB. All rights reserved.