Sarasota, FL (WWSB) - Happy Valentine's Day Eve! According to the National Retail Federation, Americans will spend more than $19 billion dollars on the holiday this year. Individually, people plan to spend, on average, around $145 on gifts. The breakdown: around $90 on significant others; $25 on kids and parents; $7 on teachers; and $6 on pets.
If you're short on cash and alot short on ideas this year - here's a few of our favorites we rounded up for a "Cheap but Sweet" Valentine's Day!
1) Treasure Hunt: Grab some pink sticky notes, leave "clues" all over the house leading to a romantic picnic on the lanai or deck (or maybe even the beach?).
2) Sticky Note Love: Leave "Why I Love You" messages written on sticky notes all around the house on Valentine's Day morning to remind your partner why you love them the other 364 days out of the year too!
3) Memories: Grab your favorite photo, use your smartphone to change the picture to black and white, print it out at your favorite spot (Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Target etc) then frame it with black or silver - it adds an elegant touch to any picture.
4) Dinner & A Movie: Even if you don't have the culinary skills of our Chef Judy, you can STILL look like a rock star in the kitchen for Valentine's Day! Simple Google "5 Ingredient Recipes" and you'll be surprised at how many easy creations come up to cook. Add that meal to a movie on your favorite streaming service and you've got dinner and a movie!
5) Love Letter: For less than two dollars at most craft stores (Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc.) you can pick up a beautiful piece of stationary and an envelope. Why not go old-fashioned and write a love letter? Definitely a gift that lasts much longer than any old flower bouquet or box of chocolates!