Zucchini Pancakes with Tomatoes & Basil
2 c. shredded zucchini (3-4 medium size), squeezed/water removed
Handful basil leaves, chopped
½ c. grated Parmesan
1 small onion (or 1 shallot, or 3 scallions)
2 Tb. olive oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. lemon zest
⅓ c. all-purpose flour
Few grinds black pepper
½ pint small tomatoes, halved
2-3 Tb. olive oil
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
Dash kosher salt, few grinds black pepper
Fresh basil, chiffonade (for garnish)
1) Grate zucchini using a box grater or food processor with grate attachment; place in a colander or strainer over a bowl; sprinkle 1 tsp. kosher salt and stir throughout squash; allow to sit 15-20 minutes so squash releases water.
2) Rinse squash, squeeze it by hand to remove most of the water then place into a clean towel and wring out remaining liquid; mix with remaining pancake ingredients & set aside.
3) In medium saucepan add oil, red pepper flakes & garlic over medium/high for 1-2 minutes, so the oil heats up the garlic. Add tomatoes, S&P, cook 1-2 minutes then turn off heat.
4) In large non-stick skillet (or 2 smaller skillets, or a griddle, so you can cook all at once) over medium heat, add about 1 Tb. olive oil in each pan, then spoon in 4 separate piles of zucchini mixture and flatten so they’re thin and uniform in size.
5) Cook until the first side is nicely browned, then flip (~2-3 minutes each side).
6) Transfer to a plate and top with the tomatoes and basil.