Chef Joe DiMaggio, Cafe Barbosso
Yields 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- One 8-ounce loin sushi-grade yellowfin tuna, cut into 1/4-inch domino-size slices (about 24 slices)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon brine from capers or caper berries
- 1 tablespoon chopped jarred hot Italian chiles, such as Victoria
- Freshly ground black pepper
Brush the center of 4 round appetizer plates with olive oil, then very lightly sprinkle with salt. Lay the tuna slices over the seasoned olive oil.
Combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, caper brine, and chiles in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture evenly over each slice of tuna. Drizzle the top of each plate with the remaining olive oil. Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Let stand for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on your desired texture, then serve immediately.