Sweet Potato Crumble
Chef Keith Doherty, Brick's Smoked Meats
8 oz. Sweet Potato Puree
4 oz. butter, melted
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 cup orange juice concentrate
1 tsp. white pepper
2 tbsp. salt
2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup oats
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 cup pecans
2 cup butter, cold
For Sweet Potato Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly oil the skins of the sweet potatoes and place on a baking tray.
3. Bake sweet potatoes in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove potatoes from oven and let cool.
5. When potatoes are cooled, gently peel the skins from potato "flesh."
6. Place the flesh of potatoes in a bowl and mash with a stiff wire whisk until desired consistency (whisk till smooth or if you prefer keep them a little chunky... your choice)
7. Add the orange juice, butter, cinnamon, salt, and white pepper to the sweet potato mixture.
8. Mix together to incorporate ingredients evenly throughout the mixture.
9. Place sweet potato mixture evenly in your favorite casserole dish and set aside.
For Crumble Topping:
1. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, except pecans.
2. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the rest of the ingredients until the mixture resembles the texture of coarse sand.
3. Add the pecans and evenly incorporate them into the mix.
4. Spread the pecan crumble topping evenly on top of the sweet potato casserole.
5. Place casserole in 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes or until crumble topping is crispy golden brown.
6. Serve immediately.