Spaghetti Pie | Chef Judi
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 pints organic cherry tomatoes
- 8 cloves garlic smashed
- ¼ cup EVOO plus extra
- Crushed red pepper flakes, about ½ teaspoon
- Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste 5 ounces grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, not fresh mozzarella or burrata as it will be too watery
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- Fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 box Bucatini pasta
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine eggplant, tomatoes, fresh garlic, ¼ cup olive oil and red pepper flakes and oregano in a large cast iron skillet.
2. Season with salt and pepper and place in oven to roast. 25-30 minutes. Let vegetables cool while you prepare the pasta.
3. Reduce the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Whisk the eggs and tomato paste in a medium bowl until smooth, then whisk in about ¾ of the Parmesan cheese.. Cook Bucatini as directed until al dente. Drain but do not rinse the pasta.
5. Add cooked vegetables mixture into the empty pasta pot and add the pasta.
6. Wipe out the pan with more olive oil and drizzle on bottom.
7. Add egg mixture to the pasta and toss with tongs until well coated evenly with the mixture.
8. Add drained capers and sliced basil. Transfer back to cast iron skillet and press mixture into pan.
9. Top with remaining Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese.
10. Bake pasta about 30 minutes until brown on top. Cool 10-15 minutes before cutting