SARASOTA, FL (WWSB) - This dish is perfect for all celebrations. Shrimp in a luscious, creamy Mornay sauce. The Mornay is prepared with milk and a little Parmesan cheese~which keeps it on the lighter side. This cassoulet has all the great flavor and finesse of the classic French Coquille St. Jacques. The addition of a little white wine and cognac gives an extra layer of flavor. Serve with wild rice pilaf and a colorful vegetable sauté and you’ll have a Valentine’s Day to remember.
- 8 Butterflied Jumbo Gulf Shrimp
- ½ Pound of Bay Scallops
- One Minced Shallot
- Two Cloves of Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- ¼ Cup White Wine
- 2 Tbsp. Cognac
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- Fresh Chopped Parsle
1. Add the shallot/garlic and sauté until tender.
2. Add the shrimp and scallops.
3. Turn down the heat and sauté gently.
4. Be careful not to brown the seafood.
5. When the shrimp start turning pink, add the white wine and cook for another minute until the wine evaporates slightly.
Tip: always add wine with the sauté pan off the fire to prevent a flare up.
6. Add the seafood to the Mornay sauce and let cook for a minute and don’t over cook.
7. Add the cognac and flame with the pan off the heat.
8. Serve in individual cassoulet dishes garnished with parsley.
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Cups Milk
- ½ Cup Best Quality Parmesan
- White Pepper to Taste
- Pinch of Nutmeg
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute.
3. Slowly whisk in the milk.
4. Season with salt/nutmeg/white pepper.
5. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Remove from the heat and whisk in the Parmesan.