· ½ gallon clam juice
· 4 cups. chopped ocean clams
· ½ gallon milk
· 1qt heavy cream
· 2 cups. Chopped onion
· 2 cups. Chopped celery
· ½ lbs. diced apple wood bacon(thick cut)
· 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs
· 1 cup. Fresh chopped chives for garnish
· 2 lbs peeled and diced sweet potatoes(par cooked)
· ¼ cups chopped garlic
· ½ lbs butter
· 2 cups. Flour
· Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
· Start by bring the clam juice and heavy cream to a slow simmer for 25 minutes.
· Cook bacon in large soup pot, render fat until bacon is nice and crispy. Separate bacon from fat, and leave half the fat in pot.
· Add butter to reserved bacon fat and place on medium heat. Add onions, celery cook until they become soft, then add garlic and herbs. Cook until it begins to pick up a nice golden color.
· Add flour and cook for another 5 minutes, then add the hot clam juice and cream mixture, stirring as you combine. Slowly add milk in at this point, Bring to a boil.
· Add sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes on a low simmer
· Pull thyme sprigs out, check for seasoning and consistency , if it’s too thick add some water
· Serve and garnish with fresh chives and crackers