A trip to Yoder’s Produce Market on Bahia Vista this time of year is a bounty of red strawberries filling the displays. When our friends and family come to visit from the North, they want Suncoast beaches, fresh squeezed OJ and yes as many fresh strawberries as they can. I use this recipe for both a brunch dish and as a tart filling. (For the tarts I just use the granola as a topping before the whipped cream.
- 4 cups sliced strawberries, divided
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or equivalent of stevia
- 1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup amaretti cookie crumbs (about 8 cookies) or granola
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
Place 2 cups of strawberry slices and granulated sugar in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Set strawberry puree aside.
Combine ricotta and next 4 ingredients (ricotta through vanilla) in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Spoon 2 tablespoons cookie crumbs into each of 4 parfait glasses. Top each portion with 2 tablespoons strawberry puree, 1/4 cup strawberry slices, and 3 tablespoons ricotta mixture; repeat the layers. Drizzle the remaining strawberry puree over each serving.
Chill for 2 hours.
Top each parfait with 2 tablespoons whipped topping and 1 1/2 teaspoons almonds.