1 tsp soy bean oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp chopped ginger
1 Qt Water
4 Tbsp Miso paste (barley)
10 oz Chicken Breast (or two small breasts)
For the bowl:
8 Shiitake Mushrooms (slice very thin)
1 Medium Carrot (slice in very thin strips--”fine julienne”)
8 Snow Peas (cut in half)
1/4 cup Slice Scallions
1/4 cup Napa Cabbage (slice very thin)
1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro Sprigs (rip with fingers)
**Reserved Poached Chicken from above broth (shred with fork)
Red Chili Paste or Hot Sauce of Choice
Slice up Wonton strips
4 Lime Wedges (squeeze juice into bowl)
1. Sauté the chopped onion, garlic, and chopped ginger in oil for about 1 minute.
2. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Add miso paste and whole raw chicken breasts.
3. Adjust heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. The chicken should be cooked through at this point.
4. Remove the chicken from the broth and let cool for a few minutes and then shred with a fork.
5. Arrange empty bowls on the table and portion all remaining ingredients into each one.
6. Ladle hot broth into the bowls. If you spicy food, add a bit of chili paste or hot sauce. Squeeze a few drops of lime juice into the hot soup bowl. Enjoy!
*The broth can be made a day or two in advance. You could have a nice meal in the time it takes to heat up the broth!!
*Add some thinly sliced wonton strips into the empty bowls for a bit of noodle texture.
*It is very important to cut up all of the vegetables very thin and serve the broth very hot!!