Goat Cheese Polenta with Sautéed Kale
- Yield: Serves 4
- 3 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled and divided
- 1 ounce 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chopped Lacinato kale (about 1 bunch)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1. Bring 3 cups water and thyme to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add polenta, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 6 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Discard thyme sprig. Combine 1 ounce goat cheese, cream cheese, and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until almost smooth. Add egg mixture to polenta, stirring to combine. Remove pan from heat. Line an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing plastic wrap to extend over edges of dish; coat plastic wrap with cooking spray. Spoon polenta into dish, spreading evenly. Cover and keep warm.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, red pepper, garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; keep warm.
3. Return pan to medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/4 cup water, kale, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until tender.
4. Invert polenta onto a plate; remove plastic wrap. Cut into 4 squares. Cut each square into 2 triangles. Place 2 triangles on each of 4 plates; top with 1/2 cup