- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian chicken sausages, casings removed (Butcher Block homemade sausage.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 pound fresh pasta cooked as directed (locally I use Peperonata pasta at the farmer’s market)
- 1/2 cup (packed) chopped fresh basil
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and crushed red pepper. Sauté until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up with back of fork, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender and sausage is browned, about 3 minutes longer. Add tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sausage mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to same pot. Add sausage mixture and toss over medium-low heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry. Transfer pasta to serving dish. Sprinkle with basil. Serve, passing cheese separately.