Chef Joe Askren, University of South Florida Sarasota Manatee, College of Hospitality & Technology Leadership
Yield: 8 orders
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL WALNUT SEMIFREDDO
- 4 oz Walnuts (whole)
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 ea Vanilla Bean
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 4 ea Large Eggs, separated
- 2 cups (plus 2 Tbsp) Heavy Cream
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 oz Chocolate Chips (grated)
- 2 oz Caramel Sauce (traditional)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
1. Melt butter and toss with the walnuts and salt. Roast in a 350˚F oven until lightly toasted (about 12 minutes). Remove and allow to completely cool. Roughly chop the nuts and reserve.
2. Cut the vanilla bean and scrape the beans into a small metal bowl. Add sugar and the 4 yolks. Briefly whisk until the color turns pale (about 30 seconds).
3. In a mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
4. Meanwhile, whip the cream to soft peaks. Pour the yolk mixture into the whipped cream and gently fold until barely incorporated. Then fold in the egg whites gradually in two batches.
5. Next, pour in half of the grated chocolate and all of the caramel. Also, pour in the cooled nuts from step 1. Fold all together but LEAVE THE MIXTURE STREAKY. Pour into a 1/3-400 pan, drizzle honey on top and sprinkle with remaining chocolate. Wrap with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours.
Apple Cider Batter
Yield: 1 qt
- 11.2 oz (1 bottle exactly) Apple Cider BEER
- 3 ea Egg Whites
- ¼ cup Cold Water
- 1 cups AP Flour
- 1 pinch Salt
1. Whisk liquids together briefly. Add flour, salt and then whisk until barely incorporated. Do not over mix. Adjust the consistency to a thin pancake state.
On Plate Up:
1. Slice an apple into 3 - ½ inch squares. Toss the apples in the flour, then coat well in the batter. Fry until golden brown.
2. Immediately toss in the cinnamon sugar and place onto a rectangle plate.
3. Top each apple ring with a small scoop of the semifreddo, drizzle with caramel, sprinkle with nuts and place a small fried mint leaf on top of the semifreddo.