It is holiday season, and whether you are serving brunch or setting a sweet buffet, this Cooking Light Recipe has been one that I keep around for festive occasions.
A little lighter with 2% milk, you may top the warm pudding with fat-free whipped topping or use Stevia instead of sugar.
Serves 2 (you may double this recipe three times for groups)
- 1 ¼ cups (1/2 inch cubes) Hawaiian sweet bread
- 2/3 cup 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or equivalent of Stevia
- 1 ½ Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tablespoon Kahlua
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking Spray
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings, dried cherries, mint leaf garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray food release spray into custard cups or ramekins.
Arrange bread cubes in single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove bread from oven and decrease temperature to 325 degrees.
Combine milk and the next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add bread, toss gently to coat and cover. Chill 1-4 hours.
Divide half of the bread mixture evenly between 2 6 ounce ramekins or custard cups that are greased with food spray or butter. Sprinkle evenly with half the chocolate. Divide remaining bread mixture between ramekins and top with remaining chocolate.
Place ramekins in an 8 inch square baking pan. Add hot water to pan in the depth of 1 inch. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and dried cherries as garnish and mint sprig.