A quick trip to Butcher’s Block on 17th street and I found the boneless chicken thighs on sale. I often suggest substituting boneless chicken thighs for duck breasts if you want to save a lot of money.
- 10 boneless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Smoked salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 15 ounces of cherry pie filling. (Read labels- I prefer the Clear brook brand from Fresh Market )
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup apricot juice
- 1 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon zest of lemon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
- Splash cherry brandy (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Zest of orange for garnish
Place the cherries in a saucepan and warm. Gently whish in vinegar and simmer over low heat for about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in apricot juice, lemon juice and zest and bring to gently boil. Add the stock and cinnamon sticks and simmer for another 5-8 minutes.
Remove from heat and discard the cinnamon sticks.
Dissolve the cornstarch in either cherry liquor or water. Whisk into sauce and simmer until thick. Whisk in honey.
Glaze chicken just before removing from grill to avoid the sauce to burn.
Serve with grilled vegetable kabobs or white rice with minced scallions and zest of orange for garnish.