I love a recipe that has some versatility. I originally followed the recipe for pumpkin sheet cake from the NY Times.
After tasting and adjusting spices and different types of baking vessels, I relazied this is a perfect morning baked donut or special treat to pass out to the parents of the little trick or treaters.
For the cake donuts:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus dusting for pans)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15-ounce can organic pumpkin pie filling
- 2 1 cup whole cranberries
- ½ cup cream cheese soft but cool
- ½ cup butter slightly softened
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Butter and flour round cake donut pans or 9 x13 inch pan, or loaf pans.
In medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices until well combined.
Combine light brown sugar. Butter and grapeseed oil. Beat until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and vanilla extract and pumpkin pie filling. Scrape down sides of bowl. Slowly add the flour mixture then fold in whole cranberries.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Depending on which pans you are using you will bake 16-25 minutes.
Whip cream cheese and butter. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar and then molasses, lemon juice, vanilla and pinch of salt.
Frost donuts/cake when cooled