Oktoberfest Stuffed Pork Belly
By Chef Nakita Geier
3-4 lb butterflied fresh pork belly
1lb bulk nuernburger bratwurst
½ cup thin sliced onions
1 cup mushrooms
2 Tbsp. caraway seed
1 Tbsp. butter
1Tbsp. fresh chopped chives
3 cups uncooked sauerkraut
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Lay the pork belly out flat and sprinkle with pork seasoning and pepper to taste.
- Heat butter in small frying pan and add the onion and mushrooms until golden brown.
- Add half of the caraway and chopped chives and stir together.
- Lay the bulk nurnberger bratwurst down the center of the roast and push flat.
- Add the mixture of onions and mushrooms on top of the nuernberger.
- Starting on the side without the skin and roll carefully making sure the rind ends up on the outside and secure with butcher string.
- Place the uncooked sauerkraut and the rest of the caraway in a baking pan and place the roast on top. Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 30 min and then drop the temperature to 325F and bake for another 2 hours (check the roast every half hour or so to stir the sauerkraut to make sure not to burn).
- Let sit for 20 min and serve with homemade potato dumplings and mushroom gravy.