Marinated Summer Squash with Hazelnuts and Ricotta atop Bagels
Brunch doesn’t always need to include eggs and potatoes. This recipe adapted from Food & Wine offers a creative new spin on a bagel topping.
- 3 medium summer Squash cut in half lengthwise
- 1 zucchini cut in half lengthwise
- Kosher salt -1 11/2 teaspoons plus
- ¼ cup blanched hazelnuts
- 6 Tablespoons EVOO plus
- 1 bunch fresh mint divided
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp sugar
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- ½ lemon
- ½ cup fresh ricotta (this is worth making fresh or buying a high-quality artisan brand)
- Coarse sea salt
- Zest of lemon
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 toasted baguette bagels - buttered
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Toss squash with 1½ teaspoons kosher salt. Let sit in the colander draining for 10 minutes then pat dry.
Toss hazelnuts and 1 TBSP. oil on a rimmed baking sheet and roast, tossing occasionally until browned. Let cool.
Pinch mint leaves to express more flavor, mix in a large bowl with garlic, white vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes and 2 Tablespoons oil. Set aside dressing.
Heat 2 Tablespoons EVOO in skillet, (cast iron is best).
Arrange squashes cut side down in skillet, breaking into smaller pieces as needed. Cook tossing gently for even browning.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Cool slightly.
Cut squash into 2-inch pieces and toss in reserved dressing. Remove mint leaves and discard mint.
Mix fresh ricotta with zest of lemon and 1 TBSP EVOO.
Spread lemon infused ricotta over a toasted bagel. Sprinkle with fresh squeezed lemon. Top with squash and garnish with fresh mint leaf.
Serve with Rose fruit salad.