2 lb’s Pumpkin, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons of canola oil
2 tablespoons of butter
1 large white onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 red chili, sliced thin
1 large clove of garlic, sliced thin
1 cup of coconut milk
1 1/2 quarts of vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
· Roast the pumpkin in the oven at 375 until lightly golden and tender
· In a large pot on a medium heat brown the butter and sauté the onions for approx 15 minutes or until tender.
· Add the curry powder, ginger, chilli and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
· Add the pumpkin stirring to coat all the pieces. Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
· Blend the soup until smooth. Adjust the constancy with more vegetable stock if needed and season with salt, pepper, tamarind water and palm sugar to taste.
· Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and some chopped chives