Butternut Squash Risotto
By Chef John Ford, Jack Dusty at the Ritz-Carlton Sarasota
- 1 T Olive oil
- 1 C diced butter
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1Qt Vegetable Stock
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add squash; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until edges soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add rice; stir to coat. Add wine; cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low; add 1/2 cup hot broth mixture. Cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, 35 to 40 minutes total.
4. Stir in Parmesan, sage, butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Serve immediately, garnished with more Parmesan and sage, if desired.