I love Hollywood and all its glory. My Mom loved the movies and each year we settled on the couch with egg salad sandwiches and fried red tomatoes. That was before the Golden Globes became the gateway event to the red carpet gatherings. This year I am planning some special treats for my girlfriends who will come over, ballots in hand, ready for a glam show. Of course, and very gender unfriendly, in the other room the husbands will be cheering on their football teams in the playoffs.
While I don’t want to prepare one meal for two different themes, I also don’t want to spend multiple hours in the kitchen cooking all day.
Here are some helpful tips and ideas:
• Think sliders and a healthy version of chips.
• For the Golden Globe team- lobster salad served in Boston lettuce cups
• Football fan viewing- buffalo and ground sirloin sliders with bleu cheese and caramelized shallots
• Bowls of Homemade sweet potato chips for both groups
• Golden Globe viewers will be enjoying mini caprese salad on skewers –mozzarella balls, fresh basil and a balsamic glaze drizzle
• Football fever fans will be noshing on shrimp wrapped in prosciutto skewers
• The ‘glamours’--fresh pineapple and strawberries with individual pots of warm chocolate ganache and toasted coconut marshmallows
• The touchdown team will enjoy s’mores, using those same toasted coconut marshmallows.
Remember there are short cuts to make culinary entertaining easier, but keep it healthier and tastier by making it homemade.
Recommendation: grilled pizza with a selection of toppings, like fig preserves, goat cheese and caramelized onions for one theme; ground Italian turkey sausage, grilled fennel and roasted tomatoes for another.
What are your favorite game (whether glitter or glory) watching dishes?
Sweet potato chips
2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed- leave skin on
@ TBSP. melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1tsp. Himalayan sea salt
¼ tsp. Chili powder
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
*Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper(use 2 large cookie sheets to prevent the chips from overlapping)
Slice sweet potatoes on mandolin. Place potatoes in bowl of ice water and cover. Let soak for 20 minutes.
Drain and rinse the chips. Pat dry with paper towel. Toss sweet potatoes in oil. Spread on cookie sheets. Bake about 20 minutes turning once.
Sprinkle with salt and chili powder
Serve with yogurt dipping sauce.