Beef Kofta with Tamarind Glaze & Cinnamon Chili Yogurt
By: The Indian Table
Ingredients for Kofta:
- 1 pound ground beef (80-20)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3 cloves fresh garlic - minced
- Handful of mint / cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp canola oil, for sautéing
- For the spiced yogurt
- 400ml natural whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Tamarind Glaze
- 1/2 cup tamarind concentrate paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄2 Kala namak (black salt) optional
- 1⁄2 Chilli powder
1. Add all of the ingredients into a small pan over medium high heat. Whisk until combined. Cook until thickened, 12–15 minutes.
2. Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and creamy
3. For the Kofta, put all of the ingredients apart from the oil into a food processor and blend to a very smooth paste.
4. With wet hands, take heaped teaspoons of the mixture and roll into small balls.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the kofta in batches, for about 7-10 minutes until browned and cooked through.
6. Stir in the tamarind glaze and cook for 30 seconds until bubbling.
7. Serve on naan breads drizzled with yogurt and more chili powder if desired!