WAAY ABC 31, the ABC Network Affiliate located in beautiful Huntsville, AL is seeking a “hands-on” News Director who cares strongly about local news with a successful track record of driving content in a diverse, multi-platform environment.
This position is responsible for generating news, content, ratings and audience growth across all platforms, developing new content streams, field coaching and managing the overall news and operations department performance of the Station. The News Director must foster an attitude of exceptional customer service and provide motivation, leadership and fresh ideas to the news process. It requires a can-do attitude as well as strong organizational, communication and computer-related skills.
Primary skills and traits:
- Highly competitive with the desire to “win.”
- Possesses solid journalistic judgment.
- Must have a strong belief in digital. Looking for someone with the vision to aggressively drive growth in content across multimedia platforms including: digital, mobile, social media, streaming television/video/audio and any new platform opportunities that may arise.
- The ability to hire, manage, train & develop, a high performance news and operations team.
- Must exhibit great people and communication skills with staff, peers, Calkins Media, and our viewing and digital communities.
- Strong analytical ability to actively manage and work within the fiscal budgets of the News and Operations departments.
- Effectively apply Nielsen, Rentrak, Digital, Social Media and other market research in the news process.
- Looking for someone who embraces new technologies.
- Must believe in getting heavily involved and engaged in the community.
- Ability to set and maintain ethical standards.
The successful candidate will lead efforts in television and digital solutions, and must possess a demonstrated familiarity with the Internet, including mobile applications and social media. He or she must have the ability to think strategically, to identify opportunities and to work well within a team environment.
A college degree in news, communication or other applicable degree required. Producer experience and previous news management experience are required. The News Director reports to the General Manager and is a key member of the senior management team. The News Director must work well with and become cohesive to the senior management team. Together the senior management team will set the strategy for the station. The successful candidate must have a visceral distaste for politics and gossip. The News Director is responsible for a department that includes News, Operations, and Digital Content. The News Director will coach, train and develop the team.
Advance your career in our high-energy, fast-paced environment as you lead our News and Operations team.
- 3-5 yrs. successful experience as a seasoned producer in television/online/social media/mobile media industry.
- 3-5 yrs. proven experience leading & managing news staff.
- Track record of leading by example, assuming increased responsibility, and taking accountability for results.
- Strong leadership traits and mentoring abilities.
- Ability to thrive in a high performance / accountability environment, meeting challenging, measurable objectives.
- Must embrace sharing, creating, aggressive acquisition, delivery, and presentation of content across all platforms and across all Broadcast and Calkins Media properties.
- Must be willing to be actively involved and engaged in the community.
- Must be willing to engage the community into our newsrooms.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org EOE.