Adapted from Cooking Light
These are the perfect summer sandwiches for the beach- zesty in flavor and meatless.
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ TBSP. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups julienne-cut peeled carrots
- 1 ¼ pounds eggplant
- ½ pound zucchini
- 1 ½ TBSP. Canola oil
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup minced green onion
- 1 TBSP. peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. yellow miso (Fresh market and some Asian markets carry)
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 banquette—cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Thinly sliced jalapeno pepper- seeds removed
Preheat oven to 375
Combine vinegar, salt and sugar in a bowl and dissolve, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add carrot, let stand 15 minutes to marinate. Stir occasionally then drain.
Heat a grill pan to med high heat.
Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch
Cut zucchini the same
Brush with oil and grill about 6 minutes or until tender turning once.
Combine peanut butter, onions, ginger, miso and juice in a bowl and stir well.
Hollow out the top of the bread, leaving a 1-inch thick shell: (reserve trim bread for croutons for another recipe if desired.)
Place bread on baking sheet and bake about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Spread bottom half with peanut butter mixture
Arrange eggplant evenly over peanut butter mixture
Top with marinated carrots and cucumber evenly over mixture
Top with eggplant, cilantro, zucchini, and jalapeno
top with other side of bread