The Circus Arts Conservatory, Sarasota is home to world-class performances, excellence in training for the Circus Arts and community based educational and humor therapy outreach programs. Their extraordinary mission underscores their commitment to sharing the entertainment, education and enrichment that Circus Arts provide.
Elements of the outreach programs include:
- Sailor Circus Academy - At 65 years old, Sailor Circus Academy is America’s oldest youth circus with more than 1 million spectators throughout its history attending annual youth productions. Sailor Circus Academy is an after-school training program for students aged 8-18 who develop life management skills, gain self-discipline and bolster confidence and a commitment to achievement, all in a circus atmosphere. Sailor Circus is known worldwide as, The Greatest “Little” Show on Earth with more than 1 million spectators attending performances of America’s oldest youth circus where students are recognized as future leaders and major contributors to the circus legacy in Sarasota. Nik Wallenda, star of Circus Sarasota and daredevil high wire walker along with Encho, Trio Moscow, and the Platchov Duo are internationally acclaimed professional circus artists that work with Sailor Circus Academy students. These professionals deliver workshops and hands on training in various circus disciplines to the Sailor Circus Academy.
- The Education Program - Unique, visual and exciting, it offers a solid foundation for learning:
- Provides all students with a safe learning environment that encourages creativity
- Introduces students of all learning levels and learning styles to the circus arts and sciences
- Helps students recognize the importance of science, technology and mathematics through the circus arts
- Provides all students with a kinesthetic interdisciplinary learning experience
- Teaches elementary students that there are alternative creative combinations that can be used to meet various goals and challenges
- Engages students that have difficulty responding to other traditional forms of instruction.
- The Humor Therapy Program - This program powerfully impacts the lives of those in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and adult care centers with the talents of professional clowns, entertainers, musicians and trained volunteers. The age-old art of clowning sets the stage for therapeutic interaction and reaches far beyond simple entertainment to foster meaningful relationships that bring joy and improve the quality of life for others in need. From the one-on-one bedside visitation and conversations, to memory stimulation and physical activities, The Human Therapy Program enhances the lives of its participants, their family members and the care staff as well.