Sarasota County Public School Program of 1954-1960, History Center Museum 

 "The Exhibit Itself Teaches," an exhibit that features the people, events and  architecture that shaped the Sarasota Public School Program from 1954-1960, is  now on view at the Sarasota County Visitor Information Center and History Center  Museum, 701 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota.

The exhibit is the result of a  collaboration between Sarasota County Historical Resources and the University of  Florida Historic Preservation Program. 

The exhibit tells the story of  how five new buildings and four building additions constructed from 1954-1960 --  collectively known as the Sarasota Public School Program -- dramatically  transformed the public educational environment of Sarasota County, and offered a  new precedent for school design across postwar America.

The initiative was  launched by Phillip Hanson Hiss III, who relocated to Sarasota from the  Northeast in 1948 and would later be elected to the Board of Public Instruction,  forerunner of the Sarasota County School Board. 

The Visitor  Information Center and History Center Museum is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m.  Monday-Saturday. There is no admission charge.

The exhibit is expected  to be on view until March 2014. It is sponsored by the Friends of the Sarasota  County History Center, the Sarasota Alliance for Historic Preservation and the  University of Florida Historic Preservation Program. 

For more  information, contact the Sarasota County Call Center at 941-861-5000 (TTY: 7-1-1  or 1-800-955-877).


Sarasota County Public School Program of 1954-1960, History Center Museum is a free event.
venue information

​History Center Museum

Event Contact
Name: ​History Center Museum Phone: 941-861-5000
Contact ​History Center Museum by phone at 941-861-5000 for more information regarding the Sarasota County Public School Program of 1954-1960, History Center Museum.

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.